>Stalemate at Sixfields as Stanley frustrate Town

>Northampton Town 0-0 Accrington Stanley
League Two
Saturday, August 14th 2010

Well the tradition of the slow Cobblers start to the season goes on and despite finding two goals on Tuesday night against a League One outfit, Town had no way to get past Accrington Stanley this afternoon. Both sides had beaten higher league opponents in the League Cup but it was the visitors who went away from this one happy with their second 0-0 in a row in League Two.

Steve Guinan continued his run in the side as the frustrated Tadhg Purcell still waits for his first league start while Michael Jacobs started on the left hand side with Liam Davis sitting out with an ankle injury. So an unchanged team to the one that disposed of Brighton.

But there was to be no thunderous start as there was on Tuesday night with a much more even contest. Michael Jacobs, the star of the show in midweek came close early on again with a left footed volley that sailed wide and at the other end Ray Putterill tested Oscar Jansson.

Billy McKay had a good chance to give the Cobblers the lead after he did well to cut inside but sent a shot wide and at the other end John Johnson made a last ditch challenge to deny Putterill after the Stanley striker had rounded Jansson and looked odds on to open the scoring.

Ryan Gilligan’s chip almost caught out visiting keeper Ian Dunbavin with a chipped effort and Andy Holt headed wide from the corner as the Cobblers stepped things up a gear on the half hour mark but the sides would go in goalless at the break with another decent strike from Jacobs the final noteworthy moment of the first half.
Kevin Thornton replaced the youngster on the hour mark and was an instant threat with a dangerous corner causing a goal mouth scramble in which Ryan Gilligan’s shot was blocked before the former Coventry man set up McKay for another good chance from close range but he was denied by Dunbavin to the frustration of Sixfields.

Steve Guinan was replaced by Tadhg Purcell with fifteen minutes to play but it was the final substitute, Courtney Herbert, that would have the final chance to nick the three point when he was sent through on the left hand side but was blocked by a defender.

So a point at piece in the first home league game and we’re still not out of our stride in League Two. That tradition of the Cobblers not starting well is beginning to get old and we need to put it right otherwise it’s going to be another long road back.

A tricky game at Bury is certainly not what the doctor ordered but it’s what is up next for Sammo’s men…

1 thought on “>Stalemate at Sixfields as Stanley frustrate Town

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s