>League Two round up…28th March 2011…

So a busy weekend of League Two action is over and to say that things are heating in the relegation, playoff and promotion issues is an understatement. It all started on Friday night with the Cobblers’ dramatic draw with Torquay at Sixfields and an extraordinary start for Rotherham under caretaker boss Andy Liddell. The Millers bounced back from the 5-0 defeat at Chesterfield that ended Ronnie Moore’s time at the club with a 6-0 away win at Lincoln. Ironically Moore’s son, Ian Thomas-Moore, grabbed a hat-trick at Sincil Bank!

Saturday’s all important clash saw Barnet recover from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Chesterfield at Underhill. A bizarre goal deep into stoppage time that saw Sam Deering’s cross fly over the head of Spireites keeper Tommy Lee and into the corner of the net gave his side fresh hope of staying up under new boss Martin Allen.

The Bees had been temporarily overtaken in the table earlier in the day as Stockport conjured up late drama of their own. With their home game against Southend moving into injury time, Danny Rowe rose to head home a crucial winner that takes them to within a couple of points of safety.

At the top of the table on Saturday, there were huge away wins for Wycombe and Stevenage as their respective promotion bids continued. Wycombe scored three in quick succession at Morecambe to move into second place while Stevenage are now two points off the top three following their 4-0 success at Macclesfield, their fifth straight win.

Bury are down to third after their goalless draw at Port Vale. Bury survived the sending off of captain Steven Schumacher and two Vale efforts that hit the woodwork to hold on to a decent point in their bid to hold on to an automatic promotion place.

Shrewsbury are still closing the gap though but did it the hard way at Bradford. Going into the final fifteen minutes a goal down, Tom Bradshaw scored twice to turn things completely on their head and to keep his side in touch at the top.

The only other game on Saturday was Aldershot’s 1-1 home draw with Accrington. Rory Boulding gave Stanley hope of closing in on the top seven but a late header from Darren Jones earned the Shots a share of the spoils.

Sunday saw three more games take place and the Cobblers were sent down a place in the table thanks to Hereford’s 1-0 victory against Crewe. Stuart Fleetwood raced on to a through ball from Kenny Lunt to score the winner that takes the Bulls up to nineteenth.

Better news for us came at the Kassam with Oxford hammering Burton 3-0 and the Brewer’s poor form is now giving them more and more trouble. It got worse for them with the sending off, and subsequent suspensions, of both Darren Moore and Tom Parks during the game and with more games in hand to get through without two big players it’s going to be a nervy end to their season.

Elsewhere, Cody McDonald stunned Cheltenham with a brace within the final four minutes as Gillingham stole three points from Whaddon Road. Steve Elliot had given the home side the lead after just three minutes but McDonald left it late to move the Gills into sixth.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s